Now I show you a simple dish that we eat very often in Hungary. Rakott Krumpli is a filling dish and the ingredients are quite cheap. If you wanna save time, you can make some preparations a bit earlier than you actually put the Hungarian Potato Casserole in the oven.
- 8-10 medium potatoes
- 6-8 eggs
- 400 g sausage
- Salt, pepper, ground caraway seeds, sweet paprika powder, garlic
- Crème fraîche
- 1 raw egg
- Cheese optional
- So first of all, cook the whole potatoes in salty water till it's almost ready but still a bit raw in the middle, then place them into cold water because this way you can peel them easily. Finally, slice them into half cm thick slices.
- In the meantime prepare the hard-boiled eggs and fry your favourite sausage in oil. Here in the UK, if you have no chance to get some Hungarian sausage (for example 'csabai' or 'debreceni' type what I normally use) maybe chorizo or hunter's sausage could be good as well if you add a half tsp ground caraway seeds and a tsp of sweet paprika powder and some garlic. This way it will have a quite similar taste to Hungarian style sausages.
- As the last step of the preparation, open a normal not light!!! crème fraîche and mix it with the whole raw egg.
- Now you have the ingredients to create the layers in a deep baking tray.
- First of all cover the tray with butter then sprinkled it with some breadcrumbs. It's good when they stick in the butter and completely cover the baking tray because this way the potatoes on the bottom will be a bit more crispy at the end.
- Create the first layer from potato slices. Arrange them to overlap each other and sprinkled some salt on the top.
- Make the next layer from egg slices with some crème fraîche-egg mixture poured on the top -no worries: the egg won't be raw at the end-.
- The third layer could be potatoes again followed by the sausage pieces and the crème fraîche-egg mixture again. Make sure, you save some savoury oil for later.
- The top layer should be potatoes, but of course, you can create as many layers as you want, just repeat the previous steps.
- When you finished the top layer, pour the savoury oil on it evenly and sprinkle it with bread crumbs which makes it even more crispy, but you can add some crème fraîche-egg mixture and grated cheese as well.
- Bake it till the potatoes and the breadcrumbs or the cheese become golden brown and crispy. It takes about 20 minutes or so.
Serve it with cold crème fraîche on the top, and enjoy not just the yummy tastes but the hot-cold opposite as well.