After You know how to make a good roux, we can start a discussion about the 5 mother sauces. Let's start with Bèchamel!
Béchamel sauce also known as white sauce, is made from a white roux and dairy (milk or cream), it exists since the sixteenth century and it is one of the 5 mother sauces of classic French cuisine. These sauces are the starting point for making other sauces, this is why it's essential to know the right method for each.
BÈCHAMEL = White roux + Dairy
You can use Béchamel to prepare for example homemade lasagne, Mornay, cheese sauce or moussaka.
- 30 g unsalted clarified butter
- 30 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- salt, white pepper, nutmeg, bay leaves - optional
- Prepare the roux with butter and flour. Click here for the instructions.
- Heat up the milk.
- Add the milk to the roux gradually and stir it by a whisk continuously.
- Cook until it thickens.
- If you would like to get the best, silky texture, let's send it through a strainer.