Have you ever tried another amazing version of 'mac and cheese' called Käsespätzle? We Hungarians call its base spätzle soft egg noodlefound nokedli, csipetke or galuska. Everyone who loves skiing probably knows this popular Alpine dish called Käsespätzle, what usually served in the mountain huts called hütte.
For this recipe I've used Speck ham straight from Italian Alps, Emmental and smoked Cheddar cheeses for lovely gooey texture and smokey-nutty flavour. Together with your homemade spätzle, it would be the best thing you can share with your beloved ones on a cold winter day! :)
- Spätzle - click for the recipe
- 100 g Emmental - grated
- 100 g smoked Cheddar - grated
- 150 g Speck Alto Adige PGI ham from Alpine Deli - diced
- 1 large onion
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- Chives - freshly chopped
- Prepare the spätzle.
- Cut the whole onion to get thin slices. Make them fall apart into onion rings then cover them with flour and deep-fry the onion rings in oil until they become golden brown.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the speck and sear it for a minute, then add the spätzle and continue the searing for an additional minute.
- Incorporate the grated cheese and cook it together with the spätzle till it completely melts.
- Serve it hot with the crispy onion rings and freshly chopped chives on top.