I've heard about this gorgeous French sandwich in the 'It's Complicated' movie. Fortunately, nothing is complicated about the recipe. The gentleman, called Croque Monsieur has an elegant lady on his right: Croque Madame is wearing a lovely fired egg hat.
These baked sandwiches could make a perfect brunch or quick dinner for all who is in a rush but cannot live without warm meals... btw, we have something in common. I'm sick when I have to spend my whole day on cold sandwiches and biscuits.
As always, I recommend you, boost these sandwiches with your favourite ingredients. Add pickles, use spicy chorizo, a characteristic cheese, cream cheese or even a different sauce. It's like a blank canvas: it's up to you what will you pull out of the oven... right?!
for one sandwich
- 2 slices of sourdough
- 30 g butter
- 30 g flour
- 30 g milk
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Grated Gruyère
- 1 thick slice of cooked ham
- Sunny-side-up egg - for the Croque Madame
- Turn on the oven at 180 °C.
- Let's prepare a simple Bèchamel first: melt the butter, whisk in the flour, add the milk and cook on medium heat till it thickens.
- Spread this sauce on one sourdough, then spread the Dijon mustard on the other slice.
- Top both slices with some cheese, then place the ham on one sourdough slice and close the sandwich halves.
- Top the sandwich with more mustard, sauce, and for sure... add more cheese as well.
- Bake it for 15 minutes and finish it with 5 minutes on the grill function.