We Hungarians have some simple pasta dishes, for example, a tagliatelle sprinkled with walnut or poppy seed and icing sugar. To be honest, I haven't got good memories from school canteens about the sweet pasta dishes, but finally, I've had a chance to replace them with something I love, and this is how this Walnut, Apple & Vanilla Lasagna came to life.
Instead of tagliatelle, I've created a sweet lasagna dish with three different fillings. This sweet main course is a good way to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Prepare the walnut filling and pastry cream.
- For the apple filling place the grated apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice into a pot and cook the ingredients together for 2 minutes.
- Choose a small rectangular oven dish -mine was exactly that big as a lasagne sheet. Cover the bottom of the dish with some pastry cream. Place one sheet on the cream.
- Cover the pasta with half of the apple filling (without too much juice).
- Cover the apple filling with another pasta sheet and cover it with half of the leftover pastry cream.
- Cover the pastry cream with another pasta sheet and add cover it with half of the walnut filling.
- Repeat these steps again to create another apple-pastry cream-walnut layer separated by lasagna sheets.
- For the soft meringue topping whip the egg white with the sugar, incorporate the jam, then pour the stiff foam on the top of the last layer -I had walnut filling on top-. You can create a similar wavy pattern with a spoon.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 160 °C for 20 minutes.
- You can serve it hot and cold as well!