Saint Patrick - who lived during the fifth century- is the patron saint and national apostle of Ireland. He brought Christianity there and explained the Holy Trinity using the three leaves of a native Irish clover: the shamrock, which became the symbol of St. Patrick's Day and in general the symbol of Ireland. Let's celebrate today with St. Patrick's Day Cupcakes!
I've decorated these chocolate cupcakes with matcha-lime frosting, to have a lovely St. Patrick's Day design, but of course, you can enjoy the cupcakes any time of the year!
- 140 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 60 g flour
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml milk
- 50 g chocolate chunks
- 100 g cream cheese
- 100 g butter - room temperature
- 100 g icing sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp Matcha tea powder
- Zest and juice of a lime
St. Patrick's Day decor
- Shamrock candies or fondant creations
- Green and gold sprinkles
- Gold chocolate coins
- Green cupcake cases
- Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
- Soften the butter with your hand mixer then incorporate the eggs, sugar, milk and vanilla extract and beat them together.
- Sift the dry ingredients -flour, cocoa powder and baking powder- into the bowl of wet ingredients and mix it roughly with a spatula.
- Incorporate the chocolate chunks and fill a lined small muffin tin (12) with the batter.
- Bake it for about 20-25 minutes.
- Let it cool down completely before you add any frosting or start decorating.
- Till you let the muffins cool, let's prepare the frosting.
- Soften the butter in a bowl.
- Add the cream cheese.
- Sift in the matcha powder, add the lime zest and juice, add the sifted icing sugar gradually and beat the frosting with your hand mixer for a minute.
- Insert an open star piping tip into a piping bag, fill in the frosting and place it into the fridge till the muffins will be at room temperature.
- Cover the muffins with the frosting as you like.
- Decorate them with chocolate coins, sprinkles and fondant shamrocks.