Autumn means plums. Isn't it beautiful how plum turns into deep purple during baking? The best way to show this gorgeous fruit is definitely the galette. This dough is so versatile, you can fill it with any seasonal ingredients, it bakes quite fast and with its rustic look. This Spicy Plum Galette will look great on your family table.
I'm so proud since this recipe has been published in UK's top baking magazine, the Baking Heaven's October/November issue.
for 8 small or 4 large galettes
- 320 g flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large pinch of salt
- 220 g butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 150 ml ice water
- 4-5 plums
- 1 large pinch cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, mixed spice
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 25 g melted butter - for brushing the galettes
- 8 tbsp ground almond
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 40 g butter
- 1 beaten egg
- Place the flour, sugar, salt and butter cubes into a food processor, run a few cycles till the dough starts to combine but you can still see bigger butter chunks.
- Add the ice water and continue mixing the dough. It shouldn’t be too smooth.
- Sprinkle flour on a piece of parchment paper and form round shapes from the dough by hand. The disks should be about half a cm thick.
- Cover the dough disks with another piece of parchment paper and place them into the fridge for at least an hour.
- In the meantime, slice the plums -keep the peel on- to get nice, equal, thin slices.
- Combine the frangipane ingredients in a food processor for a smooth, soft buttery textured spread.
- Remove the galette bases from the fridge. After this point, try to work quickly and don't let the butter become soft again. If the dough becomes too warm and sticky, just put the galettes into the freezer for a few minutes, it will set again and you can handle it easily.
- Spread the frangipane on the dough, but keep a few centimetres clear at the edge.
- Arrange the fruit slices on the frangipane, try to overlap them.
- Sprinkle the spices and demerara on the plum.
- Fold in the clear edges of the dough while covering the fruit a little bit.
- Brush the crust edge and fruit with melted butter.
- Bake the galettes in the pre-heated oven, at 190 °C for about 35 minutes, or till the crust becomes golden brown.
- Serve the warm galettes with vanilla ice cream.