After all the time-consuming, fancy festive meals we all need a quick recipe with the taste of winter, and this Mulled Wine Strudel is a perfect choice as a weekend bake.
This recipe has been featured in the British Baking Heaven Magazine.
- 1 pack pre-rolled puff pastry
- 300 g plums, pitted, chopped
- 100 g blueberries
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 egg for eggwash
- Icing sugar and fresh blueberries for serving
- 150 g walnut ground
- 100 g icing sugar
- 60 g gingerbread cookies, ground
- 1 tbsp apricot jam
- 100 ml milk
- 2 large pinch cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
Mulled wine reduction
- 750 ml red wine
- 8 tbsp sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 2 star anises
- Half of an orange
- Half tsp ginger
- Let’s grind the walnut and gingerbread cookies in a food processor.
- Mix the milk and sugar and bring it to the boiling point.
- Add the walnut, gingerbread, cinnamon, lemon zest, apricot jam. Remove the pot from the heat and stir the mixture to get a smooth texture.
- It needs to be cold when you start filling in. If it’s too thick, you can add a few tbsps of milk.
- Roll out the puff pastry, divide it by the short edge onto 3 equal thirds and
- Using a sharp knife, cut off two corners of the dough on the short side of the rectangular dough and then two small triangles on the other end.
- Spread the walnut filling down the centre of the strip.
- Top it with the plum pieces and blueberries, sprinkle the brown sugar, cinnamon, and cloves on top.
- Using a sharp knife, pastry wheel, or pizza cutter, cut 10 slanting strips along both sides. Fold strips over dough, alternating each side to resemble a twist or a braid. Fold the bottom end up to seal the filling inside.
- Give the strudel a good egg wash.
- Bake it on a 200°C (fan) for 20-25 minutes or until the strudel is golden brown.
- Let the strudel cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Mulled wine reduction
- In a large saucepan mix the wine, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, star anises, ginger, and orange. Heat it up on medium heat.
- When the mulled wine starts simmering, boil it for 5 minutes, then strain it into another pot.
- Keep boiling the mulled wine until it reduces to a runny honey consistency.
- Pour the reduction into a pouring jug and put it aside until serving time.
- Slice up the strudel.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top.
- Add a few fresh blueberries to the plate.
- Pour some mulled wine reduction over the strudel slice.
TIP: Serve the strudel with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.