Easy, pantry-friendly Easter treats just for you! I've created this recipe as a twist on a classic Easter bake: the hot cross bun and turned them into delicious cookies!
This recipe has been featured in April's issue of the famous British Baking Heaven magazine.
- 125 g butter, softened
- 75 g demerara
- 75 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 200 g flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 100 g chocolate chunks
- 100 g dried fruits (cherry, sultanas)
- 100g white chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 190 °C (fan).
- Mix the butter, demerara, and sugar with a hand mixer until you get a creamy texture.
- Incorporate the egg and vanilla extract.
- Mix the sifted flour, baking soda, and salt, then gradually add to the cookie dough.
- Incorporate the chocolate chunks and dried fruits.
- Line your baking sheets. Use two teaspoons to create walnut-size portions out of cookie dough. You will have enough dough for about 30 cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. Let them rest on the baking sheet for 5 minutes after removing it from the oven, then transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and let them set. They will stay chewy on the inside but crispy outside.
- To decorate the hot cross bun cookies, melt the white chocolate over steam, fill the melted chocolate into a piping bag and draw a cross-shape to the top of each.