Hmmm... even if I look at the pictures of this Cauliflower & Broccoli Casserole makes me salivate!
Basically, this is one of my first own creations and still one of my biggest favourites. It's very easy to prepare, the ingredients are quite cheap and the result will be a big amount of food, perfectly enough for your guests as well. It will be still yummy when you will heat up at work.
You can easily combine it with ham, bacon or meat and other vegetables.
Without meat, it turns into a wonderful, vegetarian dish that is also suitable for keto if you skip the rice garnish!
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 broccoli
- 300 g ham
- crème fraîche
- grated cheese (Gouda, Edam)
- 200 ml milk
- 200 ml double cream
- 125 g butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Parmesan optional
- Cut the cauliflower and broccoli into pieces and cook them in stock till they're still a bit fresh in the middle but soft outside.
- Cut the ham into small pieces, and sear them on oil, add a pine of salt and pepper.
- Prepare bèchamel sauce as well: melt the butter and incorporate the flour then add the milk and cream plus some salt, pepper, and nutmeg. If you want, you can grate some Parmesan into the pot as well. Whisk the mixture till it thickens. If it's too thick, you can add some of the stock you cooked the veggies in, it will give a special flavour to your sauce.
- Arrange the veggies in a deep baking tray, pour the bèchamel sauce on them, sprinkle the seared ham on top, make some crème fraîche spots by a teaspoon, and cover the whole dish with grated cheese.
- Bake it in the oven at 180°C, till the cheese become golden brown.
- Serve it hot, with Basmati rice.