Salame Di Cioccolato or Chocolate salami is originally a Portuguese and Italian dessert, but you can find the equivalents in many European countries. The name came from the appearance: because of the crushed biscuits and nuts, it looks like a nice salami. You can create your own favourite if you add varied nuts or dried fruits to the chosen biscuit. Don't be afraid to choose colourful ingredients, those could make the salami more beautiful!
This dessert is super easy to make but at the same time, the result is so decorative and delicious! Perfect for anyone who doesn't want to spend ages in the kitchen to prepare a nice dessert for Christmas.
- 125 g butter
- 60 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 100 g Amaretti or other biscuits
- 50 g peeled almonds or other nuts
- Dried fruits - optional
- 1 tbsp rum
- Icing sugar for covering
- Place the Amaretti into a freezer bag and crush it with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. Make sure you don’t crush them too much because otherwise, it won’t look nice in the 'salami'.
- Chop the almonds.
- Use a hand mixer to mix the butter with icing sugar, then incorporate the cocoa powder.
- Melt the chocolate in a pot above steam and let it cool down a little bit, then incorporate the rum then the butter mixture.
- Add the biscuits and almonds into the chocolate mixture and stir it till you get an even result. All biscuits and almond pieces should be covered by chocolate.
- If the dough is too soft, chill it for 20 minutes.
- Place the mixture on a double layer of cling film, which you can roll around and form a long salami shape according to your preferences. If you see any air bubbles under the film, let's poke it there with a toothpick.
- Chill the salami overnight.
- When the dessert sets, let's sprinkle some icing sugar on a rolling mat and roll the salami over the icing sugar to cover its surface completely.
- You can use different strings or wrap your dessert into a nice paper to give a more authentic 'salami' look. It's a perfect edible gift idea too.